George A. Douglas built the town's first general merchandise store on this site in 1867. Mr. Douglas became the first postmaster and his store housed the first post office, known as the South Frankfort Post Office.
"We were here before you were born."
In 1887 Nils Glarum and Leonard Classens bought the store. A contemporary described the operation as: "They carry in stock almost everything in the line of general merchandise and deal in cord-
In the 1920's a farmer's cooperative, the Benzie County Fruit Exchange, operated out of the building which was then called Glarum's Warehouse.
Jim Clapp adds a new roof on the "Glarum" Warehouse in 1972.
It was in the 1930's when the warehouse was stacked floor to ceiling with cabbage for shipment by rail, that it came to be known as the "Cabbage Shed."
Nils Glarum & Leonard Classens
wood and hemlock bark . . . keeping a dozen teams on the road to South Frankfort Shipping Docks. Mr. Classens supervises the inside while Mr. Glarum makes everything outside hustle." Supplies were shipped in by sailing schooner.
Jim Clapp purchased the "Cabbage Shed" in 1972, and opened for business in 1985. It evolved into a local eatery and pub that featured live music.
Jim and daughter Becky Hunt ran the Cabbage Shed until 2015, when Jim decided to retire and Becky began her nursing career. Jim sold the Cabbage Shed to Colleen Hudson in November 2015. Colleen & family will be honoring the history of the Cabbage Shed as a new chapter begins.
Jim Clapp sings at Cabbage Shed
"The music was a big part of it."
"Good Music, Food, Drink & Fellowship will be Cabbage Shed's cornerstone."
Copyright 2017. The Cabbage Shed LLC (An Arizona LLC). All Rights Reserved.
George A. Douglas and Family
Jim Clapp and Colleen Hudson celebrate closing the deal; November 2015
The"Glarum" Warehouse circa 1972. Photo by Jim Clapp